Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Background for Our Trip


Over eighteen years ago, my dear cousin and her husband moved to Germany with the Air Force for a three year tour.  They invited us to come visit.  I longed to with our boys.  Unfortunately, we needed to buy a house.  Our little ones needed a yard.  We didn't have the money for both.  Thus, we missed our chance to see Germany with family.  I swore if they ever went back that I would get there one way or another; thus, I was so excited when they were sent back two years ago.

Now, I have dreamed of going to Europe most of my life.  I remember when I was eight years old my uncle was stationed in the Army in Germany.  I daydreamed about what it must be like.  He sent me a German doll, chocolates, and coins.  I still have the doll displayed in my bedroom. 

Of course, last year I was lucky enough to go to Scotland and England with my sister and a friend, my first European adventure.  Part of me felt like another trip, just one year later, was excessive, but like I stated earlier, I was determined to see Holly and the family.  The financial conservative in myself would normally regret the excessive travel, but the adventurer in me has no qualms.  In fact, I would love to go again in May 2019.  I won't, but I can still dream.

This explains the trip to Germany, but why the stop off in Paris?  That is all due to my daughter.  Since she was little, she has loved the great artists: Leonard da Vinci, Vincent van Gogh, and Michelangelo.  I have dreamed of taking her to the Louvre.  I have also fallen in love with art myself and dreamed of seeing great works from history. 

So, tingling with excitement, we set out on a family adventure .

The first train we took into the was quite colorful.



Our window looked out onto the square.  I liked to watch the people the times I was actually in the room.






I have always wanted to visit a church named after Saint Augustine or his mother Saint Monica.  When I saw the Saint Augustine chapel not far from the hotel, we went to look.  What a magnificent church!  As we went down the isle to look up at the alter, a priest stepped out of a room fully robed for Mass.  We followed him to the small chapel.  I love participating in a French Mass.  Lovely.

For years, I have asked Saint Monica to pray with me for the problems I have with my children.  One problem in particular hasn't become any better.  I tried lighting a candle and ask Augustine for intercessions, but the candle wouldn't light.  I became a little panicky.  My dear husband joined me to fix the candle.  As always, we have to work as a team.  Saint Augustine, Jerry, and I prayed together for my petition.




Madelle has always loved and felt close to Saint Joan of Arc.  She lit a candle and said prayers.




Saint Augustine Chapel, what a beauty.

Saint Padre Pio





No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...