Thursday, April 12, 2018

Arc de Triomphe


Normally when I plan a trip, I try to study the area.  I especially love to research the history.  For this trip, traveling with a teen with anxiety, I didn't really know what to expect or what I would be seeing on the trip.  Thus, my second day of travel found me abandoning the itinerary set for the day.

We started out going to breakfast at a quant little caffe.  I just had coffee while my two companions had a simple meal of toast and eggs.  I enjoyed taking a couple fun pictures to begin my day.




The next task was to conquer the subway system.  Our first problem was that the credit card didn't work in the machine to get tickets.  We finally used Euros.  After line 14, we were supposed to switch to line 4.  A red X crossed out the line on all the signs, construction.  With the confusion, our daughter began to panic.  She did well and didn't display her anxiety.  Once we found an alternative line, we made it to our destination to find it raining.  We noticed her struggle and bought an umbrella.  We also had an early lunch.

The plan was to see Notre Dame.  The rain became worse along with a strong wind whipping about when we came to the courtyard.  The line went on for what looked liked miles and it was frigid cold.  Madelle panicked and asked to go back to the hotel.  Frustration ensued.  We complied by her wish and took her back. 

Once safe in her spot, Jerry and I left her.  I took the opportunity to bring up the Arc de Triomphe.   I had hoped to get a chance to see the famous monument.  What a sight!  I hadn't researched.  I know no French.  I simply enjoyed the beauty. 












I also didn't know the top was a destination.  We bought tickets.  I had no idea how high it really was or how many steps it took to get to the top.  I looked it up, 284 steps.  I am not in the best shape, and after a fall last winter, my knees protest with stairs.  Luckily there was just enough room that I could rest a couple times going up.  And what a view!!!





Notice the garden on top of the roof.




Once I came home, I did some research.  The arch was built between 1806 and 1836.  The arch memorials those who have fought for France, specifically during the Napoleonic Wars.  Engraved on the inside of the arch are the generals and wars fought.  I looked over the names, trying to find Richard.  I didn't read all of them, but I found my son's name with the exact spelling.  Very cool.




We also found a treasure or two on the second "floor" of the arch.





Going down the stairs wasn't much easier then going up.  I ended up getting dizzy and had to stop to regain my balance.  Yes, I have issue.  At the bottom, we looked around and found the tomb of the Unknown Soldier.  I didn't realize at the time, but he fought in WWI and was laid to rest here in 1920 and commemorated in 1921.  Edgar Brandt was commissioned to construct an eternal torch.  The flame was lit in 1923 and has never gone out.  I find this fascinating on two levels.  One, they came the torch never went out during the German occupation of France.  Also, I always assumed America had the only tomb of the Unknown Soldier and an eternal flame.  Yep, I am an arrogant American.  The French built both well before we copied the idea.  I am humbled.



Underneath the arch, I found this beautiful ceiling that reminded me of a quilt.




After seeing the Arc, Jerry wanted to get visit the Eiffel Tower.  He wanted to walk the two miles to get there.  I said no, we could take the subway.  Now, I did do a little research about the tower when I read the novel "Paris."  I will go into that more in a later post.  All I know is that I love!!! love!!! love!!! the tower. 





Going back to the hotel, we took a different route.  Up ahead, Jerry pointed out an amazing building.  I snapped a couple pictures when I realized the door was one my cousin suggested I find for my door project of 2018.  I had so much fun taking pictures and am sure that I will not find another door to compare to its majestic design.  Absolutely stunning!!!




I also had fun taking pictures along our way of other things.












The day ended with an amazing meal at a Japanese restaurant.  They served the best dumplings I have ever eaten.  Their authentic Romen was delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...