Wednesday, February 21, 2018

My Old Stomping Grounds


Thirty years and six months ago, I embarked on a journey of a lifetime.  My parents dropped me off at Sixth Floor Rimrock Hall on the campus of Eastern Montana College in the biggest city in Montana, Billings.  For the next eleven years, Billings played a prominent role in my life.  I went to college, fell in love, married, worked, and played in the area.  I lived in four different places.  I worked seven different jobs.  One of those was for Dominos and learned the main section of the city by heart.  In the fall and winter, the smell of sugar beats fills the air.  I hated the smell at first, but now when I catch a whiff, my memories turn my lips up into a smile.  In the spring, the fresh clean air with a touch of lilac fills the air.  Nothing compares to this beautiful smell.

This past weekend, my little family drove to the city.  We went to see family.  I took time out of my schedule to goof around with my sister.  She has never wandered through the old "mansion" district of town.  Walking around in the snow, I snapped pictures and we ooed and awed over the gorgeous houses.  I showed her my favorite house. 





The first time I saw my house was probably when I first started delivering pizza.  The wraparound porch and Victorian style took my breath away.  In those days, I was extremely poor.  At times, I couldn't afford going to college or I worked four jobs to pay for college.  Many times, I drove by the house to remind myself why I worked so hard.  I daydreamed about it.  Even now, years and a degree later, I drive by the house when I am in town.  I take pictures from time to time.  I will always love this house.  And check out the door!




Did I ever buy such a house?  No.  My house is a modest one story cozy home.  I have no stairs to struggle up with my bad knees.  Nor do I have a bunch of extra rooms to clean.  Would I ever buy this house?  No.  However, I might be tempted to buy one in the town I live in if I ever wrote a blockbuster novel series like JK Rowlings.  Or I would travel the world.  Ya, I would travel instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...