Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Skijoring

   

          
          Years ago my father mentioned hearing about a new sport, skijoring.  I wish I could remember our conversation.  I believe we both thought it would be a hoot to watch.  This year Helena had their first skijoring race.  I went to check it out.  Afterwards, I wished I could tell my dad all about it.  He would have enjoyed the sport.  Back in junior high, he and I would have tried to participate in the event.  Alas, now with arthritis, I will continue to be a spectator and shoot photos.



The event started with the national anthem.  I have always loved watching the flag fly above a horse and rider.  I can't think of anything more patriotic.  Well, unless the flag is flying with a bunch of soldiers.


The first part of the entertainment was our newly elected major of Helena taking a try at skiing behind a horse.  Though painfully slow to watch after the first five minutes, I thought it was awesome that he gave participated.  I respect a political leader that will join in the fun.  Later we said our hellos.



The teams began their runs.  I snapped pictures left and right. 

Notice the coloring of this beauty!

When I go to events with horses, I recall all the found memories of my dad and I.  We omokseed in my grade school years.  I remember dear friends: both people and horses.  Of course, I think of riding on the mountain with my cousins and the kickass trip up to the 10 Lake Scenic Area.  I become a little melancholy.  As I snapped pictures of the horses, my husband commented.  "You miss it.  Don't you?"  How could I not?


The warm sun beat down on us.  After some cold weather, being out in the crisp air was invigorating.  The sun bounced off the clouds and mountains.  The day was glorious. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...