Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Reflecting


                Looking back at 2012 only makes me that much more excited for 2013.  For years, I have wanted to keep track of the books I read throughout a year.  I actually did it this year.  I couldn’t believe it when I finished up book number 45 on December 30th.  Going through the list, I thought I would share a little bit about some of my favorites.  The most inspiring which I did a few blog posts about was “The Traveler’s Gift.”  My best writing book of the year went to “Finding Water”, but for editing, “The Weekend Novelist Re-writes” helped me the most.  My favorite history book would have to be “Andersonville Journey”; yet, I loved reading about Generals Grant and Sherman.  My favorite fun read has to go to “The Hunger Games” trilogy.  This even beats all the Merlin, King Arthur, and Robin Hood stories I read.  So, if you are looking at a good read, these are all wonderful books.  I can’t wait to read more.

                Last year, I took on a new tradition that a dear friend introduced to me, adopting a saint for the year.  Her son picked for me Our Lady of Kibeho.  I enjoyed my studies of her and the people who have been affected by her love.  The book I read by Immaculee is hands down the most inspirational story I have read in years.  I am disappointed that at the end of the year I lost momentum in my studies of Our Lady, but it is a good tradition.  This year my husband suggested Saint Jerome.  I will keep you posted in all I learn about this doctor of the church.

                I haven’t done this as a yearly practice, but I have chosen a word or phrase to reflect on during different times in my journey to holiness.  I haven’t had a word for a while when I ran across another blogger who picks a word yearly.  I thought I would add to that.  After a couple of days’ reflection, discipline kept pushing its way into my thoughts.  I really had been hoping for joy, peace, or something uplifting.  Instead, my word is going to be discipline.  I have some hard work in front of me.  I will say I have started the year off well.  I had the discipline to attend Mass this morning and meditate on the word with Jesus.  I think I will work on attending Mass once during the week, writing more, editing more, cleaning more, spending more time with the Bible, and eating less.  Discipline!

                As for my writing/editing year, I am happy to say I wrote more words this year than any other year in my life.  I totaled 167,292 and this was without hitting all my monthly goals.  I upped this year’s goal to 200,000.  We will see how it goes.  Oh, and my goal to reach one million words is almost halfway done.  Since I started this writing journey, I have written 454,945 words.  They say at a million the publishing will happen.  I am getting there even if a bit slowly!  I am content with my progress in editing.  At the beginning of the year, my goal was to learn more about editing novels and count my minutes.  I did both tasks.  Unfortunately, I didn’t finish editing my book like I wanted and I didn’t reach my minute goal.  But I will still count this year a success.

                I am a firm believer in exploring the world.  My bucket list is pages long and I even have books on places to explore.  My adventures took me around the state.  I toured Our Lady of the Rockies, the Grant-Kohrs Ranch, and many other areas in our state.  On our trip out to see family in Seattle, I finally stopped at a fruit stand that I just never seemed to have time for before.  We were fortunate enough to fly to Georgia and do some exploring there as well.  I still get giddy thinking about my first Civil War battlefield tour.  I also enjoyed my home exploring up on our mountain, the little lake just outside of town, and my neighborhood.  Exploring isn’t necessarily going to grand places but exploring your backyard.

                I am so excited for this year.  There are so many books to read, places to explore, and words to be written.  Though my word is discipline, I am excited to participate in all the joy that will be given to me in the coming days of 2013. 

                Blessings to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...