Friday, March 18, 2011

Quote of the Week

“I, Patrick, a sinner, a most simple countryman, the least of all the faithful and most contemptible to many….”  Confessions paragraph 1.
This is the very beginning of Patrick’s writing.  He shows great humbleness here by saying he is not just a sinner but also simple.  While enslaved, he missed many years of education that he never felt he made up when he returned to the Roman world.  In his modesty, he also says he is the least of all the faithful.  Yet though he was the least, he did many amazing deeds throughout his life.  Finally, Patrick claims to be most contemptible to many.  He irritated church officials, druids, and most likely others.  He didn’t tote the party line.  Instead he answered to God’s calling which usually does not get the popular vote. 
                So how about you?  How does your humbleness rate to Patrick’s?  Do you tote the party line or are you contemptible to many?  I work on my humbleness and have a ways to go.  My ego gets me in trouble from time to time.  However, I do know I have been contemptible to people.  I work at not pushing my faith onto others, but if they bring up the topic, I express my beliefs.   I don’t back down when it comes to my faith. 
                Blessings to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...