Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Social Anxiety in Little Women


Through the years, I have no idea how many times or versions of “Little Women” I have watched on television.  I do know that I have read the novel once and probably need to read it again one of these days. I love the story.  I used to daydream about the characters when I was young. Since the first peek into their lives, Jo March has always been my favorite.

In the latest rendition that is airing on PBS, Jo hasn’t disappointed.  I still love her dearly and even at my age, I want to emulate her daring and drive.  However, while watching the first episode, I caught an issue that I never noticed before.  I wonder if the situation was always there. Beth has never been my favorite. In fact, she always annoyed me.  Last night, I found myself watching the scenes with Beth with interest.

Mr. March wrote home to his little women and told them to be brave when fighting the battles in their lives.  Later, Marmie is talking with Beth. In the conversation, she is reprimanding Beth for staying in the house too much after they allowed her to leave school.  She understands the struggles Beth has being around a lot of people, but she fears Beth will become imprisoned in her home. Beth responds with the fact that she hasn’t been fighting hard enough like her father asked.

The scene took my breath away.  Beth has social anxiety. Remembering back to all the other takes on the story, I realize her “mental illness” was always there.  She hesitated to play the piano at Mr. Lawrence’s home. I never realized her struggles. Now, I know I am more sensitive to mental issues, but the directing of the show may also be more sensitive.  I really want to go back and read the novel to see if the author was making people aware of problems in families.  In reality, she probably didn't do it on purpose, but the awareness is there for me now.

Continuing in the production, there are at least two scenes of Beth stepping out of her house intending to play the piano.  One time she reaches the porch steps of the Lawrence residence only to turn around. His front gate is as far as she gets the next time. 

The scenes are so poignant to me.  My daughter has been through this.  She has struggled going to school until she just couldn’t go anymore.  Our home was becoming a prison for her as Marmie fears for Beth. I so related with Marmie and felt sadness for Beth.  Social anxiety is not a new illness. People have dealt with social anxiety for centuries. I am sure other great authors in the past have written about such people.  I just haven’t noticed before in my reading or watching of the classics.

The first episode ended last night.  Jo is still my favorite and always will hold the top spot.  Now however, I relate to Marmie and sympathize more with Beth. I have always cried when Beth dies.  I probably will again. I do wish she lived so I could see how her life turns out. Does she become that old spinster who lives with her parents until they die.  At that point would she live in the family home or go to live with one of the sisters? Does a dashing young man see her for the beautiful person she is and marry her?  I have these questions with Madelle. What is in store for me sweet girl?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...