Monday, February 6, 2012

Quote of the Week

While reading about the apparitions in Kibeho, I really liked what Mary said to the visionary Anathalie.  “Mary had told the visionary she’d suffer much in her life, but her suffering was meant as a way to remind us to pray - in despair we often call on God, but we forget to follow His ways or keep praying when our suffering has ended and we’re happy again” Location 913. 
Thoughout my life, the formula has been good times = little prayer or bad times = much prayer.  I used to need suffering or trials in my life to pay attention to God.  Yes I did pray during the good times, but it was only when I had time: when I went to church or a retreat of some kind.  Granted, I did consistently go to church and went to retreats as often as possible.  Yet, my daily prayer would fall by the wayside much of the time. 
I am trying to think of the first time I truly suffered more than money issues or fighting with someone.  In BASIC training, I remember being so miserable.  I left my new husband for four months only to be submerged in a huge group of women from all over the country with different ideas than mine.  I struggled and suffered.  Every night, I prayed to God to give me the strength to make it another day.  I also prayed during the day to get through each new obstacle.  Once I arrived back home, my suffering ended as did my daily prayer.  This has been my way all my life.
I am happy to say that I am not quite so bad anymore.  For the past year and a half, I have tried to include a couple of daily talks with God.  In the morning, I thank Him if I can get onto our heavily used road in the morning without worrying I cut someone off.  I offer up the housework for His glory.  Each night, I thank him for all the good things that happened throughout the day.  Lately, I pray in the morning asking for guidance in one of my relationships.  My goal is to never again to slack in my prayer life.  I really don’t want suffering to remind me to pray.  Yes, I am going to suffer more in my life, but I hope to always have a close walk with Jesus every day, not just on the bad days.
Blessings to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...