Thursday, January 14, 2021

A Map of Misadventures

 




Every now and then, a gift of epic proportions is given.  Yesterday, Clay came home to visit.  He tends to order Christmas presents a couple days before an occasion and they come in afterwards.  When he told me he was bringing presents, I thought he got me a cool new cribbage board because he said we had talked about the gift before.  Nope, I was so surprised to receive a map of the world with pushpins to put in the places I have traveled.  I have always thought this was a fun idea, but I never wanted to spend money on such a thing, so what a perfect gift.  Of course, now all I can think of is traveling.

Last year, my sister and I talked about going to South Carolina.  I also planned to travel to New Mexico to see the White Sands for a book project.  This year, I planned to travel to Ireland with family in June.  Instead, my mother died and COVID shut down travel.  I don’t see Ireland anything opening anytime soon.  Ugh.  We do have a contingent plan to go to San Antonio for Madelle’s trip.

I look at my new map and wonder when I will be able to add another pin.  This fall I want to go to South Carolina, but will our country even be ready for such an adventure?  I still want to see the White Sands in New Mexico.  Well, I want to see all sorts of stuff, but these areas are the next on my list.  We still want to go to Ireland.  Italy and Norway are calling for me to visit.  I am getting impatient to go, go, go.

I just had a thought.  How obnoxious will it be to travel when the authorities open the flood gates?  The tourist places are going to be packed even more than normal.  Heavy sigh!  I won’t let that stop me.  As soon as COVID doesn’t run our lives, I will book flights for at least me and Madelle for Ireland.  My 54th or 55th birthday will be spent in Italy.  This year I will at least go to the Grand Tetons.  I will see something new!  Okay, maybe I will only make it to Garnet Ghost Town.

I had intended this to be a fun post about a fun gift.  Now I just want to jump in my truck and drive.  I am so ready to play, to run away.  Last week, I took a leap and bought me and my sister tickets to the Avett Brothers concert in July.  Madelle and I agreed we will attempt Texas in June, even if we have to drive.  Clay is game for the trip too.  Sure, I have been to Missoula and San Antonio in the past, but I haven’t heard the Avett Brothers in person.  I also haven’t seen everything there is to see in San Antonio.  Besides, there is the Phil Factor.  Cousin Phil lives there, and Madelle has adored him since she was little.  We were going to go see him last year.  This year it will happen.

I am determined.  I will have fun this year!!!  On the map, Clay had engraved “the Misadventure Of The Great And Powerful Lisa Nixon Richard.”  Watch out.  The misadventures will take place.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...