Thursday, September 28, 2017

Novel Challenge


Last spring, I had the opportunity to participate in a novel challenge to write one novel per month for three months.  I really wanted to do it, but summer is so busy.  I hate being stuck in the house if there are things I can be doing outside.  I don’t necessarily get out a ton; however, I don’t want to miss the opportunities.  Besides, I had to finish editing book three of my series and begin writing book four.  I opted out and hoped the offer would be given the next year.

The opportunity was announced earlier this month to start a new challenge in October.  I am 50,000 words into book four and can’t stop.  I need this finished.  I don’t want to stop writing it, to write three new books.  Uff da.  I couldn’t stop thinking about it though.  You see, it isn’t just writing the books.  The challenge is being put on by an author who loves to teach and help other authors.  I have taken a couple of classes from him and read his blog almost daily.  He is my kind of working writer.  He will cheer on the challengers and read their books at the end.  How do I not do that when the weather gets cold and I have tons of time to write?  

A crazy idea popped into my head, the proverbial light bulb.  What if he let me take book four and use three different plotlines and turn them into separate books?  I have about 100,000 words left.  It would be the same word count.  I debated with myself for a couple hours.  I have always believed that if you don’t ask, they can’t say yes.  So, I wrote him an e-mail.  I mean really, he comes up with crazy ideas all the time.  I waited all day in anticipation.  The next morning, I had an e-mail from him.

HE ACCEPTED!!!

I have torn the 50,000 words into three files.  “The Beast Within” will follow the story of the cave trolls, young Bobben, and the three friends on the mission to find Bobben.  I have estimated this will take 57,000 words to write.  This will be written in October.  The next book I will do in November.  I actually hope to finish it within three weeks because I shouldn’t be much over 32,000.  The name for this book will be “Icordia” and it will follow the story line of Princess Icylica and Stephne, bring on the evil!!!  Finally, the last stretch will be with the last book in December.  Dean has given those who sign up until January 15 to give us time with our families at Christmas and New Year’s.  Thank goodness.  I have about 60,000 words to play with in “Pursuing Peace.”  Those who know the series, you guessed it.  The plotline will be all Corrion chasing her own demons.  I will also use her to wrap up all the plotlines. 

I am already scared to death.  He won’t have read the first three books of the series.  I have to make clear each person’s past that brought them to the beginning of book four.  I also have to write a strong ending to the first two mini-books.  Oh, and if that isn’t hard enough, I have to publish book three by November (my deadline that can be extended if I must).  Let the craziness begin on October 1st.

Oh, and my family could use some prayers.  I can get to be an airhead when I am writing at this intensity.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...