Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Accept the Invitation

Mass Reflection
                All three Bible readings at Mass dealt with banquets: food and wine.  Father connected the topic with being invited to weddings, dinners, and special occasions.  He reminded us of our invitations from God.  I really liked this thought.  I remember growing up in my Protestant faith being invited to share our reflections and to pray.  Yet, I have never quite thought of invitations since I have become Catholic.  They are there though every single day.
                Visiting with God is an invitation He gives us daily.  Like a good father, He wants to know what we are up to and how we are feeling.  I believe He gets as excited with me chatting with Him as I get when I hear from my son who is away at culinary school.  My invitation to my son is 24/7 just as God’s invitation is to me.  I really need to accept this invitation more often.
                Sundays, and for Catholics Saturdays, are more invitations that happen weekly.  We are invited to spend quality time with not only God, but all of our brothers and sisters in Christ.  I have always loved this invitation.  My week isn’t complete if I can’t attend church for reasons of travel or sickness.  Since being a small child riding the church bus, I love going to church.  Being with other like minded people struggling to make a difference and to be their best always has brought me comfort and strength to face the coming week.  The invitation goes even further during the Mass.  We get to attend the banquet of communion.  I have never been eloquent in my thoughts of the Eucharist.  Well, not as eloquent as Catholic speakers.  However, partaking of the bread and wine brings me in unity with Jesus.  There is no better armor to head out into the world.
                The types of other invitations we receive from God are as varied as the stars in the sky.  We are constantly invited to follow the golden rule: do onto others as you would do onto yourself.  Numerous times throughout the day, we can be compassionate to those around us.  Faith retreats are abundant at most churches.  Also attending different activities with different denominations can help us grow.  I hope to do this with my sister-in-law if my life with kids ever slows down.  Finally, we are invited to serve our church and our fellow citizens.
                Just yesterday, my husband and I were talking about a retreat he attended this weekend.  He was called to serve in this ministry.  After his short reflection, he was complemented on the message he shared.  As is his way, he gave all the credit to the Holy Spirit.  He told me he doesn’t know why he gets these complements or why his life is so good.  “I don’t deserve it.”  None of us “deserve” a good life or to be blessed in our service by God.  But when we accept the invitations God sends us, we are enriched by Him and given a vast amount of blessings.  My husband accepts the invitations God sends him.  With these invites, God gives my husband the gifts to fulfill a Christ centered life, blessings included.  Will we have the perfect lives?  No, but with God’s help, we will prevail but only if we first attend the “banquet.”
                Go out and accept His invitation.  I plan to.
                Blessing to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...