Thursday, November 26, 2020

Art Quilting

 

I lack the desire to write.  I sat down a week or two ago to write another story about my mom, but I fail to feel anything but a deep lethargy.  This past week has been super busy with Madelle’s birthday, early Thanksgiving, and a busy schedule, so I haven’t went back to the topic I started.  Today though, I thought I would share pictures of the quilt I finished on Monday.

When I pulled out the quilt “sandwich,” I was confused.  Sure, the quilting looks wonderful and the pieces are put together with perfection, but there was no pizzazz.  I went to Joann’s to find some fabric for the binding.  I bought enough to also sew on a sleeve on the back.  Though the quilt is huge for a wall hanging, it is also super small for a lap quilt.  What was my mother thinking of doing with this?


 

 

Each time I finished up working on the quilt for the day, I laid it out on the end of the bed to look at it and contemplate as I passed by.  One day, I finally realized what it might be.  The last couple of years, Mom talked about making quilt art.  Now, I think all quilts are art.  She and many others are taking quilting to a new level.  They are adding things to their quilts, embellishing in other words.  I don’t mind an occasional button, but she talked about metal and other things.  Her “art” quilt books are coming to my house and they are doing weird stuff.  I am not into this type of art.  I like the standard quilt art instead.  But my mind started racing.  I went on a shopping trip to Hobby Lobby.

I bought a ribbon, plastic snowflakes, tiny Christmas ornaments, and stockings.  When I got home, I decided right away that the snowflakes were out.  I didn’t like them.  I arranged all the other items and thought it looked good.  Once I finished the binding and sleeve, I got to work sewing by hand the stockings and ribbon.  I stopped there.  The ornaments are cute, but the quilt would lose the quilting part of the pieces sewn together.  Mom would probably argue with me and put the ornaments on.  Of course, she must have had a completely different thought about how to finish the quilt in the first place.  But I am happy with how it turned out.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Work

           First, I wanted to chat a little bit about my last post with Saint Joan of Arc’s quote before going on to the next quote.  I have...